Thursday, February 16, 2012

Salvaged Drawing files

At the end of the day when I went to zip my job file to send it home. I checked the zip file to find it was not the latest version. I had saved it several times subsequent to the time stamp shown in the zipped file. I am not entirely certain of the cause, but I believe that when an audit or drawing cleanup is executed the link to the file name is changed. When I have selected save the file I am told the file exists, do I want to overwrite. I have always selected overwrite. I now discover it is not overwriting but creating a FILE_salvaged.dwg file. I cannot be sure this new name then appears on the top bar when I continue with the file. I am certain that the original file name comes up when I want to save and I select to overwrite and that has not happened.

I think this has accounted for the loss of endless hours when I have progressed a file and when I open the file the next day that work does not appear.

The reason I keep checking the zip file is that the project folder in so many of my jobs gets changed to my drawing folder and often creating a whole set of project subfolders below the drawing folder. My drawing folder is a subfolder of my project folder. I have looked in all the ini files Ii can find which may be the cause, without success.

8 comments:

  1. ColC, that sounds like you have been working in the file Intellicad saved during a crash and recovered at the next startup?

    The recovery process is not working well yet and was discussed in an earlier posting.

    I don't fully understand the logic in use but it seem Intellicad saves a drawing file in a folder within your user profile:

    My Documents\IntelliCAD7.1\Emergency Saved Drawings\

    and then offers to recover it when restarted.

    Perhaps the *_Salvaged.dwg is created when the emergency drawing is recovered?

    As Leonid mentioned in response to my post below, there are conflict between the Carlson startup procedure and the Intellicad recovery procedure so it is not reliable.

    Hopefully once released the emergency save / recover will be working and documented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest concern was, when I was working away with the file and saved it, the option came up to save with the original name and when saying yes, overwrite, the file was not overwritten.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have Project Folders setup and make use of the Data Type Sub-folders?

    I am using a Carlson Project Folders setup that has the drawing files placed in a project sub-folder also. I have noticed the type of nested project folder problem you describe. I think it primarily occurs when I switch between projects started with an older version. There may be a difference how the ICAD 6.6 and ICAD 7* versions are doing this.

    I have not had enough spare time to focus on this but to get around it for now I keep checking and resetting the Project Folders setup when switching versions or opening old projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nesting of files under the project folder is more of problem than in earlier versions. I am constantly having to reset the current project folder and the location of other files. It is a bigger problem to me now than in earlier versions.

      Delete
  3. Col, Greg,

    We are currently working on fixing the start up sequence, so that recovery of emergency saves is not conflicting with startup.

    There are two mechanisms at play here:

    a) _Salvaged is added to the drawing name if there was a crash in the session since it is assumed that crash could have lead to data corruption. Therefore the original is preserved. It was recently discussed that this should not apply to SaveAS since you are actively naming file at this point.

    b) Emergency saves are last minute saves in case of the case of the crash when normal saving did not occur. Since these get a timestamp added to the name, we probably should not add _Salvaged to the name either.

    We will work on polishing it all out.

    We will also see what is going on with folders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a new job with a small crd file. I create as a new job from the file menu. I had issues very early and a crash report came up after viewing the outcome of contour/triangulation. I filled in a crash report and the program continued. I was having some unusual behaviour with several points. One point code was not recognised correctly and the preceding point had the same code plotted OK. I also had a top bank 3d polyline not being working as a hard breakline and yet was highlighted when Highlight breaklin was selected. After continuing for about an hour on the job I decided to save and restart the program( no prompt or warning came up). When I went to select the job the most recent file was the JOBNUMBER_salvage.dwg file. The JOBNUMBER.dwg was time dated prior to the crash report, an hour earlier.

    I also discovered the folder structure was astray with the wrong project folder being selected as I had previously reported.
    I am using build 120219

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can confirm that when a crash report appears and the program is able to continue after completing the report the file which is being saved is the JobName_Salvaged.dwg. The file name on the top bar does not reflect the new name. So if the crash report appears and does not close down the program then the current file is JobName_Salvaged.dwg and needs to be renamed to retain consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Col,
    The "Salvaged" issue has been scaled back to affect only fatal crash by default, the update is coming.

    The other issue is still wide open, I believe. Could you zip one messed up project with folders and .ini files and shoot it my way,
    please?

    Thank you,
    Leonid

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.