Monday, April 23, 2012

Backup to custom location

Following earlier post regarding printing problems I have isolated a link to the quick crashes. A crash which has no warning and occurs just at the click of a mouse with no error screens or crash reports is linked to my configuration for the backup directory. I had set the backup to be stored in a folder within my data drive. I had the time set to 15 minutes for backups. The crash was occuring very close to the backup period. I changed the time and the crash followed. I have now directed the backup folder to the default doc & sett sub folder and the crashes stopped.

13 comments:

  1. Up Date : The quick crashes haven't stopped. I shall have to investigate further

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had about 10 crashes today. During the time I have been working on the one file I had all the symbols that were associated with layers turned on, disappear from the drawing. I pretty certain it is related to my settings. My suspects are the the file settings for folders. I have found the drawing explorer pointing to incorrect folders.

    I shall battle on, but I would be interested to know if any one else has had similar problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Col,
    Let me check if I understand correctly: setting backup folder to a non-default location results in crashes at the autosave time, but restoring to default location makes the crashes go away?

    Are you referring to Options->Auto backup folder?
    Is your "bad" path located on the same drive or external one?

    Thank you,
    Leonid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried this and I am not repeating the issue. Is this drawing specific?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leonid,
    That was was my first conclusion
    I had my backup set to my data drive (D:) which is mapped in my network as D:. The default back is in the doc & sett..temp.
    I thought changing back had solved the problem. Unfortunately I was still getting quick crashes. So my assumption was incorrect.

    With the benefit of some further thought. IT could be a memory issue of some sort. The way it crashes all info is lost in a flash, no error report or locking up, the program just disappears off the screen with the click of of the mouse.

    In my later post ...10 crashes.. I was refering to the Current Project folder setting in Project Setup. The project folder keeps on resetting to the drawing folder (which is sub folder in my project folder) as the Project folder. I suspect that the crd file can't be found when any point operations are required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still having these quick crashes. I have checked memory, no problem, The auto save may be a problem but I went for a long period today without any crashes, now I have had 3 in the last hour. I have been zooming on a couple of occasions and then editing attributes, changing between layout tabs, but I cannot pin down a common element. I have audited the file on several occasions with no errors reported.
      Is there a log file I can send which may shed some light on the cause?

      Delete
    2. Col,
      I am not hearing this from others, so I am assuming this has something with the drawing or your computer. Here are some possible directions:

      a) Is this drawing specific?
      b) In the past you had some weird issues with our mouse - what is your mouse and have you tried using another?
      c) I wonder if this is related to entity highlighting. Could you try setting SELECTIONPREVIEW=0 and HIGHLIGHTLIMIT=0, please?
      d) Is the CRD used by the drawing located on particularly long path or network drive?

      I know it is a tall order, but if something on this list helps, it would be great to narrow it further.

      Thank you,
      Leonid

      Delete
  6. Col,
    It would be great to the drawing and accompanying .INI file to take as look.
    Thank you,
    Leonid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Col, I suspect the problem with the Current Project folder is related to the Use Data Folder for Settings toggle. I know we discussed it back in March but I am not sure if anything has been changed in that respect.

    Can you try running with the toggle on?

    I think the Current Project folder kind of followed my browsing history for settings files if I remember correctly but it has been a while and I never found the time to fully exploe the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for interest GS. I tried the toggle as you suggested, unfortunately with no luck. It seems that some of my jobs will open with the correct project folder but others, such as my problem one, will always default to the wrong folder. I have found that the carlson.ini file in doc & settings..user folder sometimes has the incorrect folder, but when I edit the file it still occurs.

    Somewhere in the dwg file it is storing this information.
    I think the files that have the incorrect folder have been originally created not using the start up wizard as some of my defaults are not present. I have a young student working who has not yet fully grasped my procedures. However, this should be able to be corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was driving me nuts when I was first starting to work in ICAD7 regularly. Once the setting was changed all the problems seemed to stop. Sorry it was no help to you. I know it is very frustrating.

    The project path is stored in the drawing also. There is at least one entry in a dictionary:

    SCAD_XML | SURVSET | prjdir

    but changing the value from the Project Setup dialog would be the best.

    I seem to recall once I changed the settings folder toggle I opened each drawing in the affected project, set the project dir saved and closed, exited the application and all worked out from then on. I can't remember if I hit the clear data folder history or not.

    All that said, it should work the way you are using it too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may have been a bit premature in saying it did not solve my problems. It didn't make my problem file Ok but it may well prevent future files. I must say I did not select that option initially as I was reading its meaning a little different to what I now see as its use. So I will continue with your suggestion and see how future jobs pan out.

    The project/drawing manager is a very useful function which I would like to fully utilise. Thanks again for your input

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am back to square one with any idea what is causing my quick crashes. I have experienced the crashes and the only link I can now conclude is that they are frequent.

    Interested if anyone else has this problem.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.