Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Point Name Length bug

I had created some points using screen pick and automatic numbering, and had a rather long alphanumeric point name (9 characters). I found that the only points that were saved to my coordinate file were number 1-9.
I didn't get any error messages, the rest just didn't save.
I tried to update the crd file from drawing, and got an error for each point.
I then deleted all the points that didn't save and went back to Draw-Locate Points > Screen Pick, and when I tried to set the Starting Point Number, I couldn't enter the last digit.
I believe that my points were not saved because the alphanumeric code I used exceeded the space allowed for the point name.
I think that the allowed character limit should be greater than 9, especially using alphanumeric numbering, and I certainly believe that there should have been some error pop-up to warn me that if I exceeded the allowed character space that the points would not be saved in my crd file.

3 comments:

  1. I tried creating a point with a number that was too long and the program did report an error message at the Command: line. Which routine did you use to create the point and do you see an error message?

    For point numbers up to 255 characters, use the new CRDB format which is a SQLite database.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I change the format of my crd to crdb? Because I get a lot of surveyed points named with reverse data and rolling number i.e. 120504001 YYMMDDXXX and I always have to use excel to rename the points. This has annoyed me for quite a few years

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a bit of mis-communication here. The SQLite option is coming in the 2013 version.

    It looks like the max point name length for numeric name is 6 and for alpha-numeric is 9, so the change in 2013 to database would be a way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.